Photo credit: Reuters

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Edward Snowden and Sen. Gordon Humphrey Speak

Dear Mr. President,
Here’s more news the NYT apparently thought not fit to print: an email exchange last Monday between former Sen. Gordon Humphrey (R-NH) and Edward Snowden. I found it on Glenn Greenwald’s Guardian blog (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jul/16/gordon-humphrey-email-edward-snowden). “Mr. Snowden, Provided you have not leaked information that would put in harms way any intelligence agent, I believe you have done the right thing in exposing what I regard as massive violation of the United States Constitution. Having served in the United States Senate for twelve years as a member of the Foreign Relations Committee, the Armed Services Committee and the Judiciary Committee, I think I have a good grounding to reach my conclusion. I wish you well in your efforts to secure asylum and encourage you to persevere. Kindly acknowledge this message, so that I will know it reached you. Regards, Gordon J. Humphrey.” Greenwald emailed Sen. Humphrey to verify the email was his and here is part of Humphrey’s reply: “To my knowledge, Mr. Snowden has disclosed only the existence of a program and not details that would place any person in harm's way. I regard him as a courageous whistle-blower. I object to the monumentally disproportionate campaign being waged by the U.S. Government against Edward Snowden, while no effort is being made to identify, remove from office and bring to justice those officials who have abused power, seriously and repeatedly violating the Constitution of the United States and the rights of millions of unsuspecting citizens.” Here is Ed Snowden’s response (in part) to Sen. Humphrey:Thank you for your words of support. I only wish more of our lawmakers shared your principles - the actions I've taken would not have been necessary. The media has distorted my actions and intentions to distract from the substance of Constitutional violations and instead focus on personalities… Perhaps, in such times, loving one's country means being hated by its government. If history proves that be so, I will not shy from that hatred. I will not hesitate to wear those charges of villainy for the rest of my life as a civic duty…” There’s not much I can add except urge you to reflect on their exchange and the course you have chosen for yourself, for our country, for the world. It is not the path to peace or security but rather, the path to tyranny and injustice. You surely know this, Mr. President. You also know history will not treat you kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment